All You Need For A Perfect Trip
Make sure to get the most out of your adventure with Big Land by reading through our list of suggestions of things to bring along.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us here.
What You Need
- On our Rivers the most popular fly rod is an 8 or 9 weight (9 foot) single handed rod with floating fly line. There are many places to also use two handed switch rods or spay rods.
- Leader line is typically 8lb – 10lb test. No sinking lines, tippets, or flies are allowed on our scheduled Salmon Rivers.
- Flies- By law we are only allowed to use single hook, barbless flies. The most popular sizes are 6 but as the summer progresses we move to smaller flies such as 10 or even size 12. Bombers and other floating flies are also very good flies for our waters. Reach out to us for the most popular patterns for our waters.
- Chest Waders are a must and we suggest felt bottom wading boots for our terrain.
- Bug Spray, Buffs, and Bug Jackets are highly suggested as you can expect bugs to be bad at times.
- Clothes – You will need a combination of warm clothing and also good rain gear. Labrador weather can be very unpredictable and it could be hot one day and sunny while the next is cold and raining.
- Gratuities are not included in package pricing so you may want to plan around this.
What To Expect
At the Big Land Fishing Lodge we like to believe we have the best staff in the world. Their friendly and attentive nature makes every guest feel like you are in your own home. We are available for your every need during your stay and it is our sincere pleasure to make your stay with us as comfortable as possible.
- A Typical Day at the Big Land Land Lodge consists of 8 hours guided fishing with our highly experienced and knowledgeable guides. Our guide will meet you at the lodge in the morning for breakfast, from where you will leave to hit the river for a great day of fishing. Lunch will consist of a great meal back at the lodge or a “Shore Lunch” at our river cabin or over an open fire near the river. Dinner at the lodge that evening will consist of a delicious meal prepared by our head Chef. Our Cuisine is sure to satisfy your pallet. Feast on a multicourse traditional Labrador meal or partake in one of our theme night meals such as Italian or Steak Night favorites. Local wines and spirits available. After dinner enjoy relaxing conversation with other anglers in our “Whiskey Jack Lounge” or outside on one of two screened in decks overlooking the mighty Pinware River.
- Ocean Boat – Our lodge is located about 10km from the Atlantic Ocean. Docked in the beautiful town of West St.Modeste sits our ocean boat which we use to take clients for a ride to see whales and get a fresh lobster or cod that can be prepared by our chef for your delight. This bonus feature is at no added cost and is something we like to do after a long day on the river to relax and unwind with the ocean breeze in your face.
- Accommodations – Whether you are staying at the lodge itself or at the Big Land Cottage, you can expect very clean and comfortable accommodations. We have 8 bedrooms at the lodge with four shared bathrooms, while the cottage has three bedrooms and two shared bathrooms. Our friendly staff are available daily for all your concerns or needs.
- Travel – If you are coming to us via air travel to Blanc Sabon airport we will pick you up and bring you back upon departure. If you are travelling via other means and you need help in any way arranging your trip to us, please reach out at any time as we would be more than happy to help you with those plans.
- Beer, Wine, Spirits – Guests are welcome to bring their own alcoholic beverages which can be purchased near by, otherwise we will have a selection for purchase by the glass with dinner and in our lounge at specific times daily.